11:10 AM

5) Serena by Ron Rash

This is a catch-up post.  This was the fifth book I read this year, but I'm just now getting around to posting this.

This book sat on my Amazon wishlist for at least a year.  During a reading dry spell, I finally decided to give it a read and I can't believe I'd waited so long.  This book was AMAZING!  It's not typically the kind of book I'd read, but I couldn't put it down.  Serena was definitely an unforgettable character.  This book had me thinking about it weeks after I had finished it.

It is set in the 1930s and takes place mainly in a logging camp run by Serena and her husband.  Even the information given about logging and the dangers of such a job were fascinating.  I can't say enough about this book.  I still can't believe how good it was!

My favorite quote: "Kephart told me...how it pleased him to know I'd die and eventually my coffin would rot,and how then I'd be nourishing the earth instead of destroying it."

0 comments: