11:03 AM

4) Time of the Witches by Anna Myers

This is a catch-up post.  It was the fourth book I read this year, but I am just now getting around to posting this.

I got this for my classroom library.  It's no suprise I wanted to read it myself because I love any kind of historical fiction that has to do with early American witchcraft issues.  Since I've read so many books that address the Salem Witch Trials, it's not often I find a story that offers such a unique and intersting retelling of the events. 

This fictitious version of events really makes it easy to understand the power of suggestion and the role that possibly played in the hysteria.  Most young people find it difficult to answer the question of how did this happen and can't seem to wrap their brains around the power of suggestion theory.  This book could definitely clear that area up for younger readers.

The elder Ann Putnam was delightfully wicked in this version and I think her character really pushed this book from good to great!

My favorite quote: "That is ridiculous, my dear," said [Ann Putnam].  "Rose cannot be a witch.  The girl still owes us a year of service.  Maybe next year."

0 comments: