3:38 PM

7) Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon

I know it's been awhile, but this is the 7th book I've finished this year.  I'll come back soon and update my previous reads, but for now I'm going to start with this one since it's fresh in my mind.

This book was WONDERFUL!  I purchased it online and had no idea how big it was.  The story is 792 pages to be exact.  I'll admit, it kind of scared me a little, but I proceeded anyway.  It was so well written that the size didn't even matter once I got into it.  I read it for hours at a time and didn't care that I seemed to be getting nowhere page-wise.  I can't think of any other way to describe the read other than smooth.  Since the story took place in 1699, the writing was not very light, but it also wasn't as heavy as some literary classics I've read (such as Jane Eyre). 

I found the storyline to be incredibly interesting.  Of course the main reason I bought this book was because it dealt with a woman accused of witchcraft, but much to my enjoyment, it also had side plots that touched on murder, Native Americans, and pirate treasure.  What more could you ask for?  I remember reading somewhere that this book was the first of a series following Matthew Corbett as an 18th century detective.  I hope this is true because I plan on reading them all!

My favorite quote:  "But every man hears a nightbird of some form or fashion.  It is the struggle to overcome its call that either creates or destroys a man's soul." ~Isaac Woodward

0 comments: