2:34 PM

11) A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick


This was one of those books where I couldn't decide if I wanted to read it or not.  I had seen it several times online and even had it in my hand ready to purchase, but then I second-guessed myself and put it back.  The surprisingly negative reviews on Amazon really made me nervous that this book would be a waste of time, but somehow I got it started, and once I did I was happy.

Goolrick's 'A Reliable Wife' was a very engrossing story.  It was very descriptive, which was both good and bad.  While the picture the text painted for me was full of detail, sometimes it just drug on and on and on.  It wasn't bad enough to make me stop reading though.  I also could see why some Amazon reviewers didn't appreciate all the sexuality of the book.  I'm no prude by any means, but the main character's constant thoughts of sex, memories of sex, dreams of sex, etc, etc, were just overkill.  The book would have been just as good without it.

The ending definitely made up for the slow parts, in my opinion.  I do agree with another Amazon reviewer that I had about all I could take of the author's favorite phrase: "Such things happen."  That was also an annoyance, but the story kept me reading and I loved the ending, so all in all, it wasn't a bad read.

0 comments: